SPEND A WEEK OR FOUR this August living the beachy life in my idyllic modern rustic/Bohemian chic summer house in East Hampton (Springs), N.Y.
Built in the 1940s as a fishing bungalow, with a c.1970 addition, the house is 1,400 square feet on half a landscaped acre. Share with friends or another family — it’s ideal for two couples with a total of two or maybe three kids.
- Swim in Gardiner’s Bay, at unspoiled, never-crowded Maidstone Beach, a 5 minute stroll from the house
- Walk the scenic ‘loop’ through Maidstone Park, or along nearby Gerard Drive with Gardiner’s Bay to one side and Accabonac Harbor to the other
- See egrets and ospreys, wild turkey and deer (not on my property, however; I’m fenced:-)
- Nap on the deck, watch the sun set over the jetty, picnic at Louse Point, make bonfires on the beach or in my fire pit, shower outdoors, grill on the brick patio, hang out on the porch at the Springs General Store
- Paddleboard or kayak in the bay
- Do yoga at one of several nearby studios
- Surf or swim in the ocean at Amagansett (10 minutes by car) or Montauk (25 mins.)
- Farm stands, greenmarkets, nurseries
- Yard sales, antiquing, shopping
- Art shows and galleries, live performance at Guild Hall, music at Stephen Talkhouse, historic house tours
- Garden tours + garden visits at LongHouse Reserve, Madoo, Bridge Gardens
- Restaurants and bars galore
- Explore nearby Sag Harbor (20 minutes), Shelter Island (30), North Fork, Block Island (day trip)
The house sleeps 6, officially — there’s a master bedroom with comfortable queen bed; guest room with two twins; as well as a separate 14’x17′ guest cabin with double bed and space for additional cot or crib (bathroom is in main house). There are also sofas comfy enough for overnight guests and a queen-size air mattress.
There are two showers, one indoors and one out, and plenty of room to spread out — there’s a dining/sitting room with sofa, chairs and fireplace, in addition to a great room with three sofas, and a home office with a partner desk, if you must work.
Live like Jackson Pollack and Lee Krasner in (whose home and studio is a mile away) in the 1940s… no TV, no air conditioning, no dishwasher.. but good Wi-Fi and fans in each room. (*TV and DVD player on request)
Flexible rental schedule, August through Labor Day, $3,000/week.
Contact me for more pics and info: caramia447 [at] gmail [dot] com