Athens, N.Y., is one of the most atmospheric Hudson River towns, quite unspoiled. Two hours north of NYC in Greene County, it’s quiet, hilly, and river-oriented, with a close-up view of one of the Hudson’s few lighthouses.
The town (which was recently written up in the New York Times as a second-home hotspot) has some 270 buildings on the State and National Historic Registers.
The house has brick and wide-board floors, exposed beams, five fireplaces, and a private, shaded garden. At the same time, it’s wired for cable and high-speed internet.
The house’s rear extension was added later, giving it a saltbox shape. The portico at the front door is one of many in the town added onto earlier houses in the 1830s, when Greek Revival became the thing.
This is an FSBO (for sale by owner) property. Go here for lots more pictures and info, or contact email@example.com.
A bit more history:
The exact history of the house is unknown but the most likely first owner and builder appears to be Theophilus Dimmick (1763-1813 who moved from Falmouth Mass. to Catskill, New York in 1794 and married Abigail Hicks (b-Catkill, NY). Over the years, the house had many owners including the Zion Lutheran Church which used it as a parish house in the middle part of the twentieth century. (Many older residents in Athens have fond memories of attending meetings and pancake breakfasts here). The lower floor, with its separate entrance was also used as a fish market on Fridays. The house is a fine example of the type of vernacular Federal houses that were built in many Hudson Valley villages in the early part of the 19th century.